Thursday 18 September 2008

Proofing and a Puddle

Yesterday was printer proofing day for the new book so I headed up to Michael's studio in Pinner. We started by drooling over the pics for Julia's book which look fantastic - especailly on Michael's big screen.

Then the proofs arrived and it was all go. They are produced as eight book pages to one proof page as this how they are printed - so complicated and all done by computer, according to the printer. I think this was supposed to reassure us! Of course, none of the pages run in sequence, so it's hard to get a feel for the continuity. They did a great job with the embellisher book so we will believe them.

It was a nice day and the light was good so we took them outside to work on them. Retriever puppy Kia thought this was great fun and grabbed a page as soon as we put them on the table. No harm was done and we looked at them with great excitement - Michael checking the images and me looking at the text.




What a lovely garden to work in. Hard to believe it is so close to London. They look super and we didn't find much. Isn't it funny how one element is always destined to be wrong? A caption that I have corrected several times (all my fault) was still wrong. However, that's a minor detail and the rest was fine. The next step is printing on Saturday and binding next week. On course, so far, for the Knitting and Stitching show and hope to have it on the web before that.

The details of the free classes are on the new, improved website. http://www.d4daisy.com/ Clive has had a really good go at it and it looks splendid now. We had to put it up in a hurry, when the webmaster was really too busy with other work, so he is happy now he's polished it up.

The catalogues, yes, they will work better if slashed (gets the rain to the bits other parts cannot reach) will be used in the final set of lessons. Isn't it all exciting?

The first one will look at 3D pieces and will examine altered books as a framing device. Here is a detail of the one on the lessons page.



Fiona has just arrived for a staff meeting so I must go. Will answer all comments later this week.

If you wonder about the puddle in the title it is due to the fact that I discovered, on the way home from MWs, that you can't open a new bottle of water while driving, even when almost stationary in road works. Drove the rest of the way home in a soggy puddle.

10 comments:

Sue Krekorian said...

I think this catalogue/book thing is a cunning plan in reverse psychology: get us all wanting bad weather to weather our books, and just to be awkward, the sun will shine and the rain will go away? Cos I must say, I've noticed a bit of a difference since this started! Put out my phone book, slashed and distressed, yesterday but might have to go water it today.....

Aussie Jo said...

The new book is looking great. I assume Dale will have copies for us all down south??

arlee said...

I can't find anywhere to buy the book!!!!! It's not on Amazon even as a pre-order and Fiona's email through the website bounced as refused.
Help! I NEED to take those classes :}

Maggi said...

I agree with Sue that I think the catalogue idea is designed to improve the weather, its beautiful here at the moment. I'm going to give it one more day and then will attack it with the watering can. Re Arlee's problem with pre-ordering the book I have got through to Fiona without any difficulty and received reply the next day.

Olga Norris said...

How exciting! The book and accompanying classes look as if they are going to be just what is needed to occupy lengthening evenings - if not whole days! Good luck with it all - and I hope that you and Michael have already planned the next title.

Genie said...

all looks very interesting maggie,
Hopefully will be able to get the book and join in.

vintagerockchick said...

Hi Maggie - looking forward to the new book - and joining in the online classes. (Must get a catalogue and leave it in the garden!) I started a C&G in Machine Embroidery with Gina Ferrari yesterday, and also started a blog.
Good job I don't cook (ever) or clean (very often!)
Gill (ex Old Bill) x

Unknown said...

I am very excited about the whole book/classes thing. Might just give me the push to make something, rather than just look at the lovely pictures! Do you think the book will be ready in time for the knitting and Stitch show in Ally Pally?

Liz Plummer said...

I do like this idea of planting Argos catalogues to ward off bad weather. Haven't done mine yet so I think I'll wait till the weather forecast looks bad and pop it in then... just wait for the sun to com eout again!

Julie said...

Have been away so I missed the catalogue thing but I've now found one and it's now in the garden having been dunked in a bucket as the rain stopped when I put it out. DH is under instructions not to move it!