I wrote in the last blog that December had got away from me - well it looks like January went the same way. The problem I have is that I feel so guilty when I don't blog that I lose all desire to do any more. Isn't that silly? Anyway, to make up for it I am going to post a little bit every day next week and invite you to help me create a new piece of work. Brave, huh? that means that it is almost certain to go wrong. Here is my idea and it is based on logs.
At the end of last winter we ran out of logs. When we tried to buy more we discovered that most of East Dorset were also out of logs and no-one had any decent ones left. So we were forced to buy some very expensive ones from the company who supplied our burner.
Well they may have cost more than the average but they were beautiful and they burned hot and long. So much so that we decided they were a good buy and bought some more. One or two had quite loose bark and I managed to pull it off. 'It came away in me 'ands, guv!'.
I had a fancy to make something with it, possibly involving the leaf shapes I had been using with my die cutter. It was laid out on the worktable and considered for a while.
Then I made a five minute drawing with a 3B pencil - no time to be fussy, just blocking in texture and tone. I scattered about a few leaves and tendrils that I had cut from paper.
Looked OK so I got out the cutter and cut the tendrils from craft Vilene and leaves from Vilene and metal shim, I plan to back the metal with the Vilene so that I can stitch them.
It will be necessary to join the bark strips so Clive drilled holes in them and I looked over my braiding samples. I think I will use a wrapped cord, although it was good to see the samples again.
Here is a leaf and its backing Vilene - all ready to go,
I will be working through this next week so do please join me on Monday (we have a 'no computers on Sunday' rule in our house). I have a whole week blocked out in the diary so watch this space.