Sunday 15 March 2009

Get Ahead - Get a Hawken Hat

I was so pleased to hear that Deirdre Hawken, a good and lovely mate of ours, has one of her hats in the prestigious Hats - an Anthology exhibition at the V&A (until 31st May). It is this one - her cauliflower hat.



When I was editing Embroidery magazine I organised a readers' weekend to tie in with an exhibition of contributors. Deirdre was one of the speakers, together with Liz Harding. It was all a great success but I was a nervous wreck and, despite many requests, could never face doing another one. Here are two more 'Hawken hats' that we had at the show.





I do so love this sweetie bag, don't you?






Thanks for all the comments. This is a quickie blog as the sun is shining and the GCs await but I will have a bash at the answers.

Thanks to all those who commented on the BSR. I did find it worked well on water-soluble with straight stitch but satin stitch was a no-no. I shall press on but remain unconvinced at present. I think I could be in lust for that new Bernina. Stephen Bogod is writing us an article so perhaps he will tell us about it - that bobbin trick is a winner. Interesting about the BSR update, Marianne, and I will try to get more info.

Hi Heather in Qld. No probs with comments here.

Yes, Jacqueline I think Lynda & Carol will have a winner on their hands with the Textured Surfaces book.

Doreen I am dying for us to meet up for a Grey reunion. Aussie Jo - you are coming too. That's so cool. Like the sound of your itinerary. Hope we will be able to have a look around. Spent a fortune last week booking the Oz trip and buying a woodburning stove. That'll turn the weather next winter.

Will be in Sydney but only for some R&R with the lad.

ElizH - Print.Ability is very differnet to Inkaid. It is washable - more on this in the next blog. Get it from http://www.gallerytextiles.co.uk/.

Thanks for all good wishes for Clive - he is much better, thank goodness.

Back soon with full Print.Ability report.

11 comments:

Wabbit said...

I haven't done much with my BSR. I'm working up the nerve to take my entire machine up to the shop and tell them to make it work together because it won't sew circles, nor will it talk to the embroidery unit or any of four laptops to which I've connected it. Sigh...

On a brighter note, I hope that you'll enjoy my latest blog entry.

Fulvia said...

Uhm... that link leads to a Peruvian cottage industry webiste. Is that right? Thanks.

Heather said...

Those hats are amazing - what a talented artist Deidre Hawken is. I think Embroidery magazine was at it's best under your editorship. I can understand your reluctance to repeat even a successful event if it has been so stressful to organize. Sometimes the responsibility can outweigh the pleasure. Hope you had a good day with your grandchildren - we had our lunch in the garden for the first time this year.

Maggie Grey said...

No - no Peruvians on Wabbitt's blog but some deeply cool drawings of Smudge and Cat Stevens. You must all have a look.

Heather said...

Maggie, I thought I should let you know that when I clicked on your link for Gallery Textiles I came up with a Peruvian Clothing firm instead of the Mixed Media Supplier I was expecting. Now I understand the comment from Fulvia Luciano.

Maggie Grey said...

Sorry. I thought it was the Wabbit one that was causing problems. My fault about the Gallery Textiles site - it is http://www.gallerytextiles.co.uk/.

Clare Wassermann said...

Oh how I woould dearly love to go to a wedding with a cauliflower on my head. I would titter so!!

Sandra Champion said...

I am a newcomer to your Blog Maggie, and I just have to put my bit in about the new Bernina. I got to use an 820 at the Australasian Quilt Convention in Melbourne last month and it was just fabulous. The threading system, bobbin, lighting and space were just a dream. On the BSR, I have one on my Bernina Artista 640 but don't use it, as I prefer the freedom I get using the embroidery foot.
Sandra in Hobart

artisbliss said...

I'm diligently attempting to get caught up reading my favorite blogs, which in your case isn't easy. You've been a busy lady!

Fabulous hats. Wish women still wore them.

Digitalgran said...

Oh, Maggie, Dierdre Hawkens hats brought back such lovely memories. I was hoping you would forget the stress and arrange another one day :) Everything went like clockwork.

lizzie said...

Hello Maggie, being now in the blogging world I have come to yours via Doreen Grey's from Canberra. This is a great way to see other textile work and meet the creators. I've been twice now- lastly Oct. 2008- to teach classes in Aussie- Forums, EG and private groups and love it and the people and I see you are about to visit. Maybe you'd like to visit my blog.....