Tuesday 6 October 2009

Come to the Knitting and Stitching Show

Phew! It's manic here. Trying to pack for the K&S but life keeps getting in the way. Exciting news is that, on Friday, Lynda Monk and Carol McFee will be on the stand (TGE6) demonstrating techniques from their book ‘Stitching the Textured Surface’. This will happen at 11.30 and 2.30. More on that later.




Jo - What luck to get a bursary. We heard from Jae that the book was going well in Oz and it has certainly done well here.




Smudge's return can't come too soon Heather, as our next door neighbour's son has come home to live (like lots of other kids in this recession) and brought his three cats with him. They are lovely (just out of the kitten stage, but still playful) but they love our garden and have terrorised Stevens. One of them tried to come in the catflap and, due to Steve repelling all boarders, it has now broken. It was set into the double glazed doors and was very expensive. Stevens now spends her time with just her head sticking out of the remains, waiting until the coast is clear for a quick pee.

Ann, thanks for the copyright info. Will look into that later.

Back to the show. I always demo on the stand and this year I am working on techniques for one of the online classes that are free with the Stitches, Straps and Layers book (details on www.d4daisy.com). It's going to be based on extending the ideas in my Digital Humanity piece. Detail below.

.






.

This uses such exciting items as black rubbish bags, tomato puree tubes, Model Soft and, of course, water-soluble paper. The secret is in the glazes. Here is 'one I prepared earlier', waiting to be enhanced at the show. Not a good pic - had to use flash as no time to play with lights.






.
The work is based on the Beowulf story of the monster Grendel and his mum, using imagery from the Lewis chess set. My drawings of Grendel make him look fierce but his angry parent keeps turning out looking mumsy. The last drawing even had eyelashes! I'm working on it.



I hope to make a couple of finished pieces at the show, so do come and see us.

Off to make the bed for the cat sitter. Her last visit this year - hooray. I love to be home-based and there is nothing like going away to make you appreciate it.


6 comments:

Gina said...

Look forward to seeing you all on Friday!

Heather said...

Poor old Stevens - we had unwelcome visits from a neighbour's two cats, in fact I think they still come in during the night sometimes. Hope you have a great time at the K&S show - I would love to come but am going through an exhaustion patch just now and know my feet and legs would never last the day out. It would be wonderful to be able to say hello to some of my favourite bloggy friends. It's probably just as well I'm not coming as I'd want to accost everyone incase they were a bloggy friend!

Kaffie said...

Hi Maggie,
I know just what you mean with life getting in the way. I have workmen here doing maintenance work in the garden and around the stables.

Most of the CTDG stuff is packed and will be taken to AP by Carol. I have the smaller bits to sort out and pack. That is not as simple as it sounds!

Our stand is RCA8. Look forward to seeing you and Clive. Good luck and have a great show.

Best wishes
Cathy Jupp
CTDG Event Organiser

Digitalgran said...

See you sometime Thursday and Friday Maggie and Clive.
Beowolf sounds interesting and I shall look forward to seeing you creating. What I fancy though is something similar with Stephens and Smudge. You could photograph the work and write a children's story about the nasty next door cats and the broken cat flap and so on and so on. Wonderful story telling opportunities there.

JP said...

wish I was coming but too much on this week to make a trip to London - are you going to Harrogate? - have a good time

Anne B said...

Poor puss! Maggie - I may have got address for copyright wrong. Try www.trademarksbureau.co.uk for a more user-friendly site.