Monday 6 August 2007

Xpandaprint - Off the Wall

Good to get such great feedback. Makes my near disaster quite worthwhile. Doreen and Sandy - don't you sometimes find that the best part of a messy session is the newspaper or clearing up cloth. Good idea for using the BW on the embellisher, Doreen.
Hey, Julie - I'm the queen of the rambling posts so don't feel obliged to stop. Look forward to seeing your piece. I love Xpandaprint and also use it with stamps (wipe it off with a BW straight away or it will set) or make marks with the edge of a piece of card.
.
.
In the sample above it is stamped with a cheap foam stamp and has a little Treasure Gold on top (Margaret R knows me well). Best of all is using it on water soluble paper. I stitch straight lines on the paper first, then stamp with xp and puff. Dissolve a lot of the paper away for lacy effect.
.
On to the diary. Fabulous weather this weekend and we've been catching up with the grandchildren. My daughter has four (usually called 'The Parley Four') and I try to take them out individually as they are a bit overwhelming en masse. On Saturday I took Lauren (13) with me to meet Kim and to help me spend a fortune in The Range. It was good to meet Kim and we grabbed a hasty lunch. Lauren enjoyed it and pronounced Kim as 'well cool'. Yesterday we took the two middle boys out to lunch. Sitting in a pub garden on a hot day with a cold drink - heaven.
Now back to work. Today I'm playing with layering up printed tissue. I needed some words and was stuck for inspiration so I typed my To-do list into Word and used that. Added a layer with a printed design on top of it. Could be useful for folk who don't like paint programs.
.
Now I'm hand stitching over the black lines to soften them. A bit like painting by numbers but soothing to do. I'd like to think I could sit in the garden and do some more. Somehow I doubt it!

4 comments:

Marie said...

Wow - the piece made with the sol paper is just amazing - have only just started with surface fabric - your work is always so inspirational, I feel like say WOW for every piece!!

Linda B. said...

I'm really pleased that you started blogging - but there is so much to learn!!!!

I've just started thinking about adding text to my work, and love the idea of including the mundane, your shopping list is a good example. The notes hubby and I leave one another is a source I have in mind. I don't recognise the font you used on the tissue paper but it is one I would like to use.

Julie said...

Maggie, thank you for your generous advice. You have opened up a realm of possibilities. I shall have to get out to my shed and play (sorry, studio lol)

Doreen G said...

Maggie I love the soluble paper piece--I have Expandaprint but somehow I always forget to use it--(note to self use the soluble paper.)