Monday 14 December 2009

Pears and Partridges - a mini blog

I have so much work to do that I have rebelled and turned to displacement activities. Inspired by my lovely silk thread from Mulberry silks I am into a hand-stitching phase. What will these components turn into?
As you can see they are made from a fabric built up by straight stitching split carrier rods to felt. Then shapes are cut out and embellished with simple hand stitching.
.


.
This one is strangely pear shaped.

.



.
While these resemble stylised partridges. What can be the significance? Seasonal, perhaps?.
.


.
All will be revealed in a day or two.

6 comments:

I am inspired said...

Oh Maggie
I cant wait to see the final piece.
I have Just been looking at the latest WOW I wasn't disappointed. it's fantastic.thanks

Heather said...

Can't wait to see the outcome and what interesting new surfaces you have created here. I have some carrier rods in the most gorgeous colours - too beautiful to use yet. Perhaps a New Year resolution will spur me into action.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gilby said...

Hi Maggie,
Love the birds. they remind me of the work of Georges Braque.I have carrier rods in the most gorgeous colours what is the best way to split them.

JP said...

love the carrier rod things - did you dye them yourself - there is something very satisfying about hand sewing isn't there plus its portability!

Wabbit said...

Handstitching has been tugging at me for months now, only I have no idea what to stitch, so I'm resisting. For some reason, whatever I have is never the right color for whatever inspiration I've got, so I do nothing rather than make a mess dyeing things. I can't wait to see what you come up with here.