Monday 29 August 2011

Here in Black and White

So much for coming back the next day. I was overcome by all the work I’ve been neglecting since the Festival of Quilts and getting our living room back. The room changed colour rather unexpectedly due to me falling for some handsome black and white wall lights.










Sorry about all the gaps - it won't let me edit them out.grrrr.






.
This meant the curtains looked wrong so I dug out some dramatic black and grey ones.




.
Had to knock up some new wall art with a black and white theme, so I hastily took some shots in the garden.




.





.








Upped the contrast considerably and then changed to greyscale.








.








.





A little bit of highlighting with the fill can and white.




.













.




And then made two more.




.








.




Here they are on the wall.













.








Remember that I wanted the flooring to match Smudge? Well, the new rug (below) matches him so well that every time he laid on it we trod on him. He now avoids it.




.












.




Great excavations




This is what we are tackling next. I expect you can guess what it is!




.

.




Comments on comments








Heather – Grandad would love this – on a good day we only clock up one or two units on the electricity useage meter. It was nine or ten before.

We get a contract for 25 years for our feed-in tariff, Aussie Jo. If they renege, we can all sue the government! It is also inflation proof and tax free. This deal ends early next year as I think they have realised it’s too generous.

Hey Gillian – loved your show – so very different.

The low numbers may be a sign of the times Diane, but I do hope not. It will be interesting to see what happens at the Knitting & Stitching Show. We haven’t got a stand this year, although I’m doing a couple of seminars. We have noticed a big increase in Workshop on the Web numbers since the shrinking of C&G classes. This is very welcome but not the way I want it to happen.

6 comments:

JP said...

it looks fantastic - I love the rug - where did you find it is is beautiful - the phots look great too - very minimilistic - sorry can't spell it but you know what I mean!!!!

Heather said...

That's a cunning way of keeping cat hairs off the new rug!! Love your art work and the black and white theme is very calming and elegant. Autumn is the perfect time of year to replan the garden - you can just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labours next year.

Julie said...

Your room looks lovely, very calm and restful.

I haven't caught up from FOQ yet either and I was only visiting not working!

Is that a pond arriving in the garden? We put in a shallow pebble pond and the birds love it. Oh, that wouldn't be too good with Smudge on the prowl, would it? ;-)

suzyque said...

Your livingroom looks very pretty, one I would like to sit and enjoy the peacefulness. I have been reading all of your old posts and some of smudge's antics has me laughing out loud...and I'm really a dog person:>)
I also appreciate all of your mini classes on photoshop. Makes it so much easier for someone new to it(like Me). I'm just starting to do the class you give for Stitches, Straps and Layers...wanted to read the book all the way thru first and my, what wonderful ideas bobbing around in my head. My Textile Translations just arrived last week so I'v been peeking in it too.
susieque better known as Linda

gilby said...

Your room looks so elegant and i love the sculptured carpet.

loVe2cre8 said...

What a fabulous rug!!