Tuesday 10 July 2007

Mystery Design Source

Back from Birminham - the demos and talk went well, I think, and we met lots of lovely people. We were so well looked after, too. I demo'd the Moonshadow Mists among other things - the front row of the audience nearly got sprayed, too. It was like the moment in the aquarium when the whale hits the water! It's a great idea to get the speaker to do a demo - then you can explain a lot more about the things you are covering in the talk. Someone took some photos so I'll put those up when I get them.

We stayed overnight in a great hotel but had to get up at 5am today to miss the traffic. Now it's midday and I feel like I'm jetlagged.

On the way to the 'do' yesterday we called in at Hanbury Hall - a National Trust property, near Birmingham. If you are a member you get in free and I like to go to lots to feel I'm getting my money's worth. They also have rather nice cafes which are great for a quick lunch. The weather was amazing - huge black thunder clouds and sunshine all at the same time. Made for some dramatic photos (and a very heavy downpour, too).
...

The Hall was not terribly inspiring but the food was good. We did manage to have a good walk around the grounds, between showers.




Here is a puzzle for you. This is a great design source, discovered at the Hall. I have not doctored the photo. Who can guess what it is?




I thought it could be interpreted using Jennifer McFarlane's technique (with natural Scottish wools) that she uses on the Embellisher. Here is a piece of her work showing the wool background, with circles, worked from the back using silk noile.






I shall put a close up of the mystery on the blog tomorrow. Will you all guess? Do try.






4 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

At the moment it looks like small fungi coming up through a piece of rotten tree log. Can't wait for a larger photo.

Carol said...

I was going to say that! Some sort of lychen or fungus on a log?

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

At first I thought that too......but you have not doctored the photograph.... so it is something like tarmac with little balls of polystyrene? With micro setting on the camera?

Good guessing game.... takes me back to my youth and quizzes in comics.
Best wishes
Maggie

Unknown said...

something floating on water or underwater? - some parts of it look a bit like reflections